Mission Statement

Our goal with this blog is to push each other to get healthy, learn how to stay fit and active, to examine our lives and try to find the joy and fun in every day, and to conquer our fears so that we can go out into the world and grasp every bit of happiness we can find. All while being snarky and trying not to kill each other.



Monday, March 1, 2010

PEANUT BUTTER: Day 1, Cory

So far, so good.

It was the best yet on not getting too hungry mid-meals and such. 

At breakfast, I decided to go with half a whole wheat English muffin for my PB , so I could have the other half of the muffin at lunch - with my tuna and yogurt.  Had some veggies as a snack also.

For dinner, I did a simple beef stir fry with lots of veggies and light on beef, then had half an apple with on tbs PB as dessert - saving the other half and the other tbs of PB for before bed.

Did my usual exercise, and I feel great.  I do love peanut butter.  The honeymoon may be over before the 2wks is up, I don't know.  But for right now, it felt good to do something different.

Also - Cappy!  I was just watching Alton Brown on Good Eats on the Food Network, and he described his "List of Four" eating plan, on which he recently lost 50 lbs!  I am going to put in the comment to this post, for our future consideration.

--Cory

5 comments:

  1. DAILY
    - Fruits
    - Whole Grains
    - Leafy Greens
    - Nuts
    - Carrots
    - Green Tea

    3 TIMES A WEEK:
    - Oily Fish
    - Yogurt
    - Broccoli
    - Sweet Potato
    - Avocado

    ONCE A WEEK:
    - Red meat
    - Pasta
    - Dessert
    - Alcohol

    NEVER!
    - Fast Food
    - Soda
    - Processed meals/frozen dinners
    - Canned soup
    - “Diet” anything

    His other rule was "Breakfast Every Day, No Matter What!"

    He left out milk - his reasoning was that dairy is a trigger for him to pig out. So I guess you need to think about that for yourself, if you tweak the lists to make them your own.

    He doesn't consider this a "diet" but rather a way to eat for life.

    He made a point that though he doesn't count every calorie and such, he ate sensible portions and had to be very disciplined about the whole thing. For example, he eats almonds because they are good for you, but they are high cal, so he only has one, 1 oz serving a day . . . 2 servings at the most, occasionally.

    I am kinda confused about the Pasta, as . . . where does whole grain pasta fit? Can you have that every day?

    --Cory

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bet would be no, you can't have whole grain pasta every day, as it's still pasta. But I dunno.

    Actually, this sounds like a great diet. We should definitely give it a shot.

    --Cappy

    ReplyDelete
  3. think you are probably right.

    I wonder how he is getting his "whole grains" every day? Breads and cereals, maybe? Whole grain rice?

    I'll research this a little better. But it sure has worked for Alton. He lost the 50 lbs in about 9 mos time, so not crazy-fast, but steady.

    Of course, he is male . . . so you know it's gonna be a slower pace for us, if we try it. Will post any more guidelines I find out about.

    -Cory

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a very sensible diet! I personally might have a hard time limiting my red meat to only once a week, but it wouldn't be impossible. What is an "oily" fish? Is that something more than tuna packed in oil? Just curious.

    I believe oatmeal is considered a whole grain, so he could have that every day for breakfast and fulfill that requirement, I would think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, by oily fish, he means fish that is high in those "good for you" fish oils . . . you can see a list here:

    http://www.food.gov.uk/news/newsarchive/2004/jun/oilyfishdefinition

    ReplyDelete