Mission Statement

Our goal with this blog is to push each other to get healthy, learn how to stay fit and active, to examine our lives and try to find the joy and fun in every day, and to conquer our fears so that we can go out into the world and grasp every bit of happiness we can find. All while being snarky and trying not to kill each other.



Friday, March 19, 2010

RAW FOOD: Day 5, Cory

Diet went fine, as far as eating sensibly went . . . but I'd say the "raw" was only about 50% today, rather than 75%.  As I said, I'm taking some classes this weekend, which means I go out for lunch.  I guess I could bring my food, but we are there all day and I need to get OUT at lunch time. 

So that just makes it harder to eat raw - that will be true this whole weekend.  But nevertheless, I had plenty of raw food today - raw cashews, a peach, an apple, a mixture of carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower as a snack, a salad, and a serving of blackberries.  I also had some cheese on whole wheat, a small grilled chicken wrap, some shrimp with cooked onions and peppers, and a yogurt.  (That onion was going to go bad, and I'm not eating that much onion raw.)

Lots of exercise today:  When I went out to lunch, I decided to walk to a nearby McDonalds - this was about a mile round trip.  Then I took my dog on a similar walk when I got home . . . then I did my 45 minutes on the bike.  I feel good about that!

I did not find that the stress of the challenging classes was tempting me to eat.  I dunno.  I feel so profoundly over emotional eating.  I hope I'm right about that.  There were snacks there - cookies, candies, chips . . . I barely noticed them.

I am much more tempted by the thought of those raw cashews in my cupboard.  They are so good, I could eat them all in one sitting.  But I won't.  I sort of see nuts as a trigger food for me - I mean, I want to eat and eat and eat them, which is not good.  But they are such a great nutritional source, I hate to exclude them from my diet on the basis of "trigger."  I'll have to learn to deal, I guess.  Am doing OK today, as I bought the cashews earlier today, but have eaten only a sensible amount.

By the way, the lunch I had at McDonald's was a grilled chicken snack wrap, and a yogurt parfait!  Cappy is the one who introduced me to the low-cal, yet good for you and delicious, McDonald's yogurt parfait.  Thanks, Cappy!  It was one of those rare times when YOU taught ME something useful, rather than the other way 'round.

--Cory

1 comment:

  1. "Thanks, Cappy! It was one of those rare times when YOU taught ME something useful, rather than the other way 'round."

    Well, I disagree wholeheartedly that me teaching you something is rare--you just refuse to listen to my wisdom. But I'm glad that you enjoy them so much--I kind of got burnt out on them since I ate them several times a week for a few months. They are really yummy, though.

    Sounds like you did great in the unusual situation! You're still choosing healthy stuff to eat, even if it isn't all raw, which is our overall goal, so good on you!

    *also, OMG, I'm loving my raw cashews, too. But I'm being good and not eating too many at a time*

    ReplyDelete