Mission Statement

Our goal with this blog is to push each other to get healthy, learn how to stay fit and active, to examine our lives and try to find the joy and fun in every day, and to conquer our fears so that we can go out into the world and grasp every bit of happiness we can find. All while being snarky and trying not to kill each other.



Friday, March 19, 2010

Raw Food: Day 5, Cappy

Diet went well for me again today, no hunger at all.  I'm going to the grocery store again tomorrow to see if I can find some veggies to add for variety in my salads.  I definitely do not want to get burnt out on them.


Today was a bit more challenging mentally for me.  It's so difficult to rewire my whole way of thinking about food and my relationship with it--I've had a good day: reward myself with something yummy; I've had a bad day: console myself with something yummy; I'm bored: occupy myself with something yummy; I'm busy and working hard: reward myself with something yummy, etc.  And food, for a good bit of my life, is sometimes all I felt I had to look forward to in the day.  Everything just revolves around food, what the next meal will be, and all that.  It's going to take quite a long time to change the way I think about food and how to live each day without that being such a big focus of it.


But, the more I think about it, the more I think I want to try this diet for longer than two weeks.  For one, because I feel better than I've felt in months.  Maybe even years.  And two . . . well, anyone who knows me really well knows that I tend to be an all-or-nothing, intense, moderation-is-for-wusses kind of gal (shut up, Cory ;D ).  And I think this might just be the best diet for me, at this time in my life, because it's not asking me to eat breads or cheeses or pastas or processed foods in moderation.  It's just completely taken those trigger foods out of the equation for me.  For years I've wished I could explain to people who just don't get it how difficult it is to be addicted to food.  With alcohol and drugs and cigarettes, the addict doesn't have to continue consuming the product they're addicted to (well, except for some types of drugs, I guess).  They can give it up and never do another hit again forever.  But you can't give up food forever, ya know?


I quit smoking almost 3 1/2 years ago.  I was smoking anywhere from 1/2 - 2 packs a day, for 12 years.  And that was the first time I had ever tried to quit.  So I know I have the ability and strength to overcome an addiction.  But moderation is definitely not my strong-suit.  So, to make a long story even longer, I've been happy with this diet so far this week, and it's made me really think about the way I approach things.


Happymaker of the day:  Going for a long walk with the doggies after work.  It was a gorgeous evening, and the dogs loved it.


CORY:  I hope your day went well!




Cappy

1 comment:

  1. Cappy - that sounds great. I mean, I know you haven't found all the answers and this isn't going to be easy, but I really like the way you are thinking about this.

    If you want to do this more than two weeks, let's go for it! I am really liking it much more than I thought I would.

    I really like how full it makes me feel, without having to load up on the calories.

    And if I keep it at 75% raw, I think I can vary stuff up enough to stay interested. Plus, like you, I'm feeling interested in making this a lifestyle change, which you know, you just aren't gonna do with Slimfast or Subway or Peanut Butter!

    Maybe we could "mix it up" a bit, by trying variations on what we do with the 25% non-raw, to find out what works best for us.

    Well, I'll think on this . . . but I'm game for trying it longer than 2 wks if you are.

    And my day went well. No meltdowns, and sanity intact! :) -- Cory

    ReplyDelete