Mission Statement

Our goal with this blog is to push each other to get healthy, learn how to stay fit and active, to examine our lives and try to find the joy and fun in every day, and to conquer our fears so that we can go out into the world and grasp every bit of happiness we can find. All while being snarky and trying not to kill each other.



Sunday, February 14, 2010

SLIMFAST: Final Rating, Day 14, Cory

FINAL RATINGS
OK then! 

Minus a final fruit snack I can have tonight if I want, I am done with our Slimfast diet!  So here are my ratings:

--EFFECTIVENESS: C
Did it work for weight loss? Pretty slow going, seems like.  I think that is because the Slimfast site makes a point of suggesting a calorie level that is "slow and steady," so they are not taking on liability by suggesting anything that could cause anyone health issues.  I'm sure if I had done the "shake for breakfast, shake for lunch, small sensible dinner" thing, without the snacks and small additional lunch items, I would have lost weight more quickly.
--EASE OF USE: A
Was the food easy to obtain and prepare and take to work and adapt to the everyday? It would be hard to be easier than this was. You buy shakes and meal bars, some fruit and veggies, some meat, some bread and potatoes .  I fixed the simple dinners quickly when I got home from work.
--ENERGY LEVELS: B
Were energy levels high, or did it make us feel weak or tired? No problem in this area.  I never felt weak or faint from the diet, or anything like that.  I wouldn't say I had "more energy" than usual, but I definitely didn't have less.
--HUNGER FULFILLMENT AND CRAVINGS:  B
Were hunger levels and cravings reasonable, or terrible?  Very little problem with this, other than that breakfast being so skimpy that I was really hungry when it was time for my mid-morning snack.  But there was a mid-morning snack, so not to bad.
--OVERALL :  B
How was it overall?  Well, this reminds me of what they say about ordering a product.  There are three possibilities:  Good, Cheap, and Quick.  You get to pick two out of three.  If you want it good and cheap, you can't have it quick.  Etc.  So I'm thinking with a diet, you can have Healthy, Easy, and Quick.  You get to  pick two out of three.  This one was "Healthy & Easy."  So it wasn't quick.

Would I do it again?  No, not really.  I mean, I think I can do this myself without the special shakes and what not.  I'd rather substitute a sensible meal with similar calorie count.

NEXT UP!

We've decided on the Subway diet, though I plan to modify a bit from what Jared did.  Jared did:  BREAKFAST: Coffee, LUNCH: 6" low cal chicken sub and bag of Baked Lays, DINNER: 12" Veggie Sub.  Both his subs had plenty of veggies, and he left off cheese and high-cal spreads like mayo.

I plan to do:
BREAKFAST:  Oatmeal with handful of berries, splash of milk, and tbs of brown sugar
LUNCH: 6" low cal sub (lunch meat and veggies) with piece of fruit
DINNER:  6" same type of sub, glass of milk
SNACK:  Yogurt

Also, I plan to make my own subs.  The Subway is across town and I'm not going there twice a day.  I can make them myself, no big deal.

Cappy may have her own modifications . . . or not. But I gotta have some breakfast, and I'd rather have a snack later than 12" sub at dinner.

2 comments:

  1. OMG, Jared's diet just had coffee for breakfast?! That's like one of the things every nutrition book I've ever seen would go against (both the not eating breakfast AND having coffee as prescribed part of any diet). Same thing with the chips every day. That makes Subway kind of irresponsible for promoting that as part of their marketing campaign actually. Your plan sounds a lot more reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Liz!

    Subway has the expected disclaimers about it all, but they do let you know what Jared did as part of the "Jared's story" section of their web site.

    It wasn't 100% healthy for him, but it was 1,000% healthier than what he had been doing before he started on the diet, since he weighed something like 450 lbs when he started.

    I'm not in that situation though, and going on his exact diet would actually result in me eating LESS healthy than usual. . . and who wants to do that?

    Glad you think my plan sounds sensible - thanks for the input - I know this is a topic you've researched a lot, so your thoughts are appreciated, anytime. - Cory

    ReplyDelete