Mission Statement

Our goal with this blog is to push each other to get healthy, learn how to stay fit and active, to examine our lives and try to find the joy and fun in every day, and to conquer our fears so that we can go out into the world and grasp every bit of happiness we can find. All while being snarky and trying not to kill each other.



Sunday, February 14, 2010

SlimFAST: Day 14, Cappy

Slimfast diet ratings!  I'm just going to go with what guidelines Cory posted to make things easier on myself and the reader. ;D
--EFFECTIVENESS: C
Did it work for weight loss? Um . . . I only lost about 3 pounds which, for two weeks and for someone who has as much to lose as I do . . . that's really not a whole heck of a lot for just starting out.  Granted, I didn't work out for half an hour every day, so I do realize I am at fault for this, too.  But still, I had hoped for more.
--EASE OF USE: A
Was the food easy to obtain and prepare and take to work and adapt to the everyday? Yes, very easy.  The only way it could have been easier was if I didn't have to prepare veggies for snacks and then prepare supper, but even having to do those things I was able to plan very easy and quick meals for supper that were still healthy.
--ENERGY LEVELS: C
Were energy levels high, or did it make us feel weak or tired? The only reason I give it a C is because it would have been nice if my energy levels had been higher.  I didn't necessarily feel more sluggish or tired, but eating less than I'm used to and eating healthier I would have expected to be feeling significantly better and/or with more energy.
--HUNGER FULFILLMENT AND CRAVINGS:  B
Were hunger levels and cravings reasonable, or terrible?  I didn't have much problem with this at all.  I think it helped for me that I was drinking a lot of water throughout the day, and the amount I ate for breakfast was about the same I always eat for breakfast, so it got each day started off right.
--OVERALL :  C
How was it overall?  It was very easy and pretty darn cheap, but I didn't lose as much as I wanted to lose, and I don't feel any better really than how I felt 2 weeks ago.  I know 2 weeks isn't really very long in being able to determine the effectiveness of a diet, but one would think that in the first week, at least, I could lose a decent amount of weight.
Would I do it again?  Probably not the whole diet plan, but I might do the shakes and the bars again, if I was feeling especially uncreative and was just wanting something quick and easy to eat for a while that I knew wasn't too unhealthy.


I'm curious to see how I do with the Subway diet.  I'm used to eating Subway once or twice a week for lunch anyways, so it's not going to be too much of a change from what I used to eat.  Like Cory, I do plan on making some modifications.  I'll eat probably a bowl of oatmeal with an egg's worth of scrambled egg beaters for breakfast, and for supper I'm planning on making my own sandwiches at home, to be eaten with a healthy salad.


Cappy

2 comments:

  1. It's really not healthy to lose anymore the 1-2 pounds a week, FYI. If your losing any more than that, then it's most likely water weight, which is easily lost and easily regained. I don't think it's a good idea to set your expectations any higher than 3-4 pounds/diet period, so losing 3 pounds is perfectly reasonable.

    Also, your weight naturally fluctuates a little bit throughout the month and it may be difficult to tease out the effect of the two week long diets and that background cycle.

    IMHO, you'd need to experiment with a diet for a much longer period of time, maybe 6 months before determining whether it was effective for weight loss. That makes it easier to see a trend if there is one, and also allows the body time to adjust to the new normal. What these 2 week experiments are most useful for, I would think, would be to determine whether you could incorporate said diet into your lifestyle in the long term.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, thanks again for the interesting input. You're probably right about the "longer time to see if it really works" but (and I can only speak for myself here) there is no way on God's Green Earth I could stay on any of these for 6 months.

    Two weeks is about my limit, so we gotta go with the sample we have. Right now, it is all about "getting the extra weight off," and for me, combatting monotony is part of the picture.

    Really good point, though, on it all helping determine what works best for us as individuals, in the long run.

    I know people who swear by low-fat or low-carb or vegan or whatever, but ultimately, it isn't about how much much healthier or more effective one diet is, over another, if you can't stick to it!

    I'm looking for "reasonably healthy" and "I can stick with it." Cause you could prove to me, with irrefutable scientific evidence, that a diet of . . . nothing but apples and anchovies was the best thing in the world for a human being, but it still wouldn't be the best diet for me. Because it'd make me crazy, lead to splurges and yo-yo-ing weight, and possibly, lead to homocide. :)

    Thanks again for your thinky thoughts. - Cory

    ReplyDelete